IngredientsFor the cookies:
2 sticks butter (1 cup), at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
1 large egg
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (can do half white, half wheat)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the rolling sugar:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Instructions1. In a large bowl, cream butter with the sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the pumpkin puree and beat well. Mix in egg and vanilla, scraping down sides of the bowl to incorporate all of the ingredients.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon. Beat flour mixture into liquid mixture a little at a time until incorporated.
3. Cover dough with plastic and chill at least an hour, or until dough becomes slightly firm.
4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper (or spray with nonstick spray). Mix rolling sugar in a small bowl.
5. Remove cookie dough from refrigerator. Use a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 Tbsp.) or a large spoon to scoop out dough and roll into balls. Use your hands to roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar and make sure they’re coated really well. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Use a glass with a nice, flat bottom to dip in sugar and flatten the balls until about 1 cm thick.
6. Bake at 350°F for 9 to 12 minutes, or until they are slightly firm to the touch. Let cool on baking sheets for 3-4 minutes or so, then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: About 3 dozen